Every personality test I have ever taken puts me dead center on introvert versus extrovert. A few years ago I actually read up on what these tests mean and found that this indicates where you get your energy from. So equal parts of interaction and alone time is how I gather my energy. I have always enjoyed my time alone and the opportunity for reflection but it wasn't until learning this that I truly started to value my alone time. I began to protect that time and really take ownership of this as something I needed in my life....but never in regards to my professional life. I associated alone time with prayer, meditation, reflection and the like....all things that pertain to personal health not work.
Until this week.
I was reading the article The power of loney on Boston.com and realized I don't protect my alone time at work the way I do in my personal life.
Now as a manager of people and someone who thinks how I manage people is one of my most important responsibilities, this was a completely new perspective. I have always felt it is my job to be available for my staff in whatever they need...which I still believe...just not in every moment of the day.
Go on try it...close your office door and be alone for a little bit each day...it will rock your world!
No comments:
Post a Comment