Thursday, March 17, 2011

OMG! FOMO...Really?

This morning as I was browsing through my reading list I came across FOMO and Social Media on caterina.net.  FOMO refers to what she calls Fear of Missing Out.  It is an interesting take on the anxiety that we have all felt that we are missing out on something that everyone else is doing but you - which can certainly be exacerbated by the 24/7 play by play of everyone's lives broadcasted on the Internet.

But the more I reflected on this for myself I began to wonder is this really a fear of missing out on something or is it a lack of a defined purpose.

What is it that makes us feel like we are missing out on something rather than excited that our friends are doing something fun?  Is it that we are lacking that sense on contentment that allows us to be happy for others positive experiences in life or is it really a fear of missing out on something that could be impactful to our lives?

No comments:

Post a Comment